- Trade tensions between the US and China are still a source of significant uncertainty for financial markets.
- Political risks and trade uncertainty have seen a vicious cycle of selling in emerging market currencies as investors react to contagion fears.
- US shares rose in August on the back of positive company earnings results, while European economic data was soft.
- Australia recorded GDP growth of 3.4% year-on-year—the fastest rate since 2012 during the height of the mining boom.
- On the Brexit front, the biggest stumbling blocks remain the Irish border plan and the UK’s post-exit trade relationship with the EU.
If you have any questions regarding this report or would like to discuss your portfolio, please contact me directly.