In the January 2015 edition of Market Update:
- Oil prices continued their sharp decline in December – down by 19.5% – which led to a 41.6% decline for Q4 2014.
- While global equity markets were generally down in December, Australia, for the second month, went in the opposite direction, with the ASX200 performing strongly.
- US economic data continued to show further resilience with Q3 GDP data revised up to 5%.
- Eurozone manufacturing data continues to remain weak, heightening expectations that the ECB will require further aggressive monetary easing to stabilise the deflationary forces.
- China is anticipated to continue to lower interest rates and provide further stimulus to support the ailing property market.
- Australian economic data continues to adjust to declining mining investment. The residential construction sector continues to improve while the AUD weakened further through December.
There’s more commentary, plus our usual tables with all the key market data on Shares, Interest Rates and Property in the linked document below.